The arrival of May brings around that time of year again: Healthy Vision Month. The Centers for Disease Control’s Vision Health Initiative and the National Eye Institute have partnered every May to help promote greater public recognition of the importance of annual comprehensive eye exams. Eye health is just as important as regular health checkups and dental exams.
So, if it has been awhile since your last optometry appointment, celebrate Health Vision Month by scheduling a visit with your Yardley eye doctor today for a comprehensive examination and eye dilution. These visits help promote the optimal vision and allow for early detection of common eye-related diseases such as glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy.
The Importance of Healthy Vision Month at Any Age
While it’s true that older adults typically have more vision issues than others, vision problems can arise at any age. It’s estimated that only one out of seven preschool-aged children receive an annual eye exam, which is problematic. The best time to detect and effectively treat conditions like amblyopia and a lazy eye is between ages three and five. Furthermore, these exams ensure that children can see properly when they enter school. Of course, a dilated eye exam annually is equally important for all individuals who want to protect their vision.
Easy Ways to Protect Your Vision Daily
Here are some ways to boost and preserve eye health in your regular routine.
- Schedule comprehensive eye exams with your eye doctor annually.
- Understand your risks for eye disease via family health history.
- Always utilize protective eyewear during risky activities such as sports or working with certain materials at home or on the job that may be a risk to the eye.
- Wear sunglasses that block 100% of UVA and UVB radiation.
- Eat ample dark leafy greens and fish with generous omega-3’s and watch your weight.
- Wash your hands when handling contact lenses to prevent infection.
Need an Eye Exam?
Contact Yardley Eye Care today at 215-309-8105 to schedule an appointment with our experienced optometry team. Celebrating Health Vision Month? Tell us how below.